Thursday 29 November 2012

Exclusive Interview with Renee Tobias from Love+Leather


Renee Tobias is the mastermind designer behind the Love+Leather jewelry collection. This young female entrepreneur is already making waves in the fashion world with her bold necklaces. It is obvious from her talent and passion that she is on the rise to becoming the next best thing in fashion.
The first time I came across her jewelry line, I fell in love with it! What really caught my eye was that unlike most necklaces that are worn on the chest, there are pieces that can be worn on your back as well, which is totally hot!

I was fortunate enough to do a cyber interview with Renee, since both of us are in different cities. Nonetheless, it was great chatting with her!

Checkout the exclusive interview below!

Can you give us a mini biography about yourself, so that we can get to know you on a more personal level?
Renee: Sure! I grew up in a town right outside of Orlando called Eustis. I attended a private Christian school through to grade twelve, and then I went to community college after that. I’ve been a nanny for over five years now, for a super rad family. Some of my hobbies include, painting, photography, thrifting, going to shows, dancing, shopping and creating!

Awesome! Shopping is one of my favorite hobbies too — we’ll have to go together one day! So tell me, when did you launch Love+Leather?

Renee: I launched Love + Leather in June of this year. I made my first piece, ‘Tribal Rock,’ for a native American Halloween costume last october (2011), and I’ve been wearing it ever since.

Surprisingly, everywhere I went, people would ask me where I got it, and after finding out that I was the one that made it, everyone was asking me to make and sell them! I love designing jewelry, and the fact that people were receptive to it, was a great feeling.

This past June, my friend who is a hairdresser at J. Bauman Salon, told me they were putting on a fashion show, and that I could make all the accessories for it. So, I whipped up 20 more designs, a name for my company, and a website, all within two weeks time, in order to be ready for the show. I ended up selling a bunch at the show, and the rest was history from that point on!

Wow, it’s amazing that you were able to pull that off in two weeks! It seems like it was fate for you to start this line! Now, for those who may be unfamiliar with Love+Leather, can you describe your brand, and who the pieces are designed for?

Renee: My brand is rock & roll fused with boho chic — think blondie meets pocahontas. My pieces are made for the rocker rebels, the boho lovers, and anyone who wants to stand out from the crowd. My pieces make a statement, but are versatile enough to rock with a vintage band tee during the day, and then it can be thrown on with a cocktail dress at night.

I totally agree with you! I’m personally a huge fan of statement pieces, as it allows me to turn a plain outfit into an eye-catching ensemble. I guess this would be a good time to ask about your four necklace collections! Can you explain the differences between them, as well as the choice of materials used?

Renee: Absolutely! My collections are as follows:

Heart + Stone: This is the core line, it’s more boho than rocker with an earthy feel, featuring bone beads and heavier stone pieces.

Rocks + Roll: This collection has more of a rock + roll vibe, with more metal and leather, heavier glam accents, and pops of neon colors.

Golden Girl: This collection features gold and bronze metal accents, and also includes some cream leather, giving it more of a dressy/chic feel.

Hard Wear: This collection features more metal and plastic, and is a bit hard edged, with bold in your face pieces. Definitely nothing “soft” about this collection!

Where do you get your inspiration when designing pieces? Are there any designers that have influenced you?

Renee: I get my inspiration from everywhere! Street style, magazines, the 80’s styles, graffiti,etc. I just look at colors and different materials, and think “that would totally rock together” or “I could take that and put it with this” and go from there.  Actually, a lot of the pieces I had originally created were made because I wanted to wear them,haha! Some designers that I love are Vanessa Mooney, the brand Luv Aj and the brand Dannijo. 

As a young female entrepreneur, what have been some of your most challenging and rewarding experiences?

Renee: I think the most challenging thing is just getting the line out there, and getting a buzz going! I just keep working at getting it in front of as many people as I can, such as bloggers, stylists and celebrities. That’s what takes the most work, but it’s like that for anything in the beginning. Once you get the ball rolling, it just snowballs.
My most rewarding experience is probably seeing the bloggers and people that I have reached out to, who are wearing and enjoying my pieces. Juliet Simms from last season’s ‘The Voice’ loves my line, and has the necklace called ‘Chrome Rocked.’

Congratulations on winning the 2012 Orlando RAWards Accessories Designer of the Year! Tell us more about it. How does it feel to be recognized for your work?
Renee: Thank-you so much! It’s exciting to be recognized by my community, and I’m honored to be a part of Rawartists.org. I will be featured in the Orlando Weekly, and my pieces are currently available at Etoile Boutique, in Orlando.
There are 54 cities in total who have an accessory designer of the year award; however, starting tomorrow a panel of national judges will look over everyone’s profile and site to choose the number one accessory designer of the year for the whole country! I find out who wins on December 3rd, 2012. The winner gets a write up in Refinery29, product placement in L.A, a meeting with the buyer from Fred Segal, and much more!
That all sounds so exciting! I have my fingers crossed that you win first place! Now, to wrap up this interview, can you give us the inside scoop on any developments that are on the horizon at Love+Leather?
Renee: Right now, I’m working on a few things. Two of my necklaces will be part of a New York based online store called American Gypsy Vintage. I also plan on going to L.A sometime at the beginning of next year to do an accessories and apparel show. And my goal is to be featured in Nylon Magazine, and other fashion mags as well!
I am doing a trunk show on December 13, 2012 at BE Boutique in Orlando, so anyone in the area is welcome to come out! I will also be offering a 50% off holiday promotion for online orders coming up soon!
Keep up-to-date with all the latest at Love+Leather:





No comments:

Post a Comment